Self-care is about taking good care of yourself and treating yourself as kindly as you treat others.
So why do so many of us put ourselves at the bottom of the list of priorities?
Taking care of ourselves should be at the top of the list since this allows us to be able to care for others better. It’s not selfish to want to feel amazing. When we’re at our best, we can give our best, and we have more to give. Something as simple as taking a class or enjoying a little quiet time a few times a week may be all you need.
Find what you enjoy doing and what recharges you. How can you fit this into your schedule? Maybe, for now, it can only be 30 minutes twice a week, but that’s a start.
Here a sample list of 25 ways to take care of yourself. And if you have one that is not listed below, feel free to share it with the Cohort.
- Get enough sleep
- Take the time to prioritize your day each morning (what are the top 2-3 things you want to get done today?).
- Remember to schedule things as evenly as possible throughout the week (don’t cram too much into your days).
- Reduce time on the computer and TV
- Take deep breaths during the day
- Eat more slowly
- Connect with family and/or friends
- Take vacations (or “staycations”)
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help
- Make time for yourself
- Read a book or watch a movie
- Speak to yourself more kindly
- Listen to music
- Open your windows and blinds during the day – let in the fresh air and sunshine
- Remember your goals and aspirations
- Enjoy a hot bath
- Mindful Meditation
- Get a massage or facial
- Go on a walk
- Focus on the positive
- Keep a journal
- Do yoga
- Boat Ride
To get more tips on additional ways of self-care. Contact Shannon Jackson, RN .